Thursday, March 6, 2014

Eagle Eyes Aids Nonverbal Children

Op-Ed Article by Jeanette Pascoe
Family Partner, Northern Utah Pediatrics
Medical Home Project


EagleEyes, offered by The Opportunity Foundation of America, is an eye controlled technology and program that acts as a mouse for adults and children with disabilities. By taping electrodes to the user's temples and connecting the electrodes to the technology box, an individual can control their computer screen.


Wow. So many times, I have thought, "I know my kid is in there. She just can't control her hands or speak." One of the only things in her environment she controls is when she finds a string and plays with it. I want more for her.


I have not had my daughter try EagleEyes, yet I intend to do so very soon. Just imagine my daughter, a twelve year old who is non-verbal and has limited motor function, playing a game on a computer screen with her eyes. She would be able to look at a small area of the screen for a moment which results in a mouse click. My daughter would not even need to hold her head still. Awesome feature, especially since she sways back and forth. She could even use her head movement to control the device to play with many computer programs or the internet.


Through a grant, EagleEyes is available for only $800 during 2014. The Opportunity Foundation of America, a non-profit, only asks for a donation to cover the cost of the system and training. That is pretty amazing considering that it is normally $1200, considering the start up cost for the company as well as the development of the technology. There is even a possibility that Utah DSPD through Medicaid could cover the cost. Let's hope. I am convinced that the makers, INOVAR, Inc. want to help people improve their quality of life.


To obtain EagleEyes, schedule a free evaluation.
Phone: 385.215.9605
Email: info@ofoa.net
Online: www.ofoa.net